View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
Johnny Danger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H
Hi all

After spending hours with various offset calculators I'm almost there, but would really like someone's advice, who's done it:

I've just bought a set of Carrera III alloys:
Fronts: 8J x 18 ET 57
Rears: 10J x18 ET58

My current Turbo twists are:

Fronts: 7.5J x 18 ET50
Rears: 9J x 18 ET52

The car is a 2001 Boxster 986 3.2S

What I'm trying to work out is the size of Spacer required at the back - I currently have a 22mm and whilst it easily clears the strut, the tyre does stick out of the arch slightly.

The research I've done suggests a 15mm or an 18 mm spacer will be perfect, but not having the luxury to try before I buy I don't want to make a mistake and I'm finding mixed results re. rubbing - whilst the 18 will definitely work, will the 15 tuck in slightly without rubbing on the strut? I'm getting confused!

Cheers
According to my rough calculations, the change in fitment on the rear wheels will decrease inner clearance by approximately 19 mm and will cause the wheel to extend outward an additional 7 mm. The problem with this wheel set is not so much the size (i.e. width), but rather the very high offset. To give you an example, depending upon one's suspension set-up, most of 986 boxster wheel applications that I have been involved with, have utilized the following fitment: fronts: widths of 8 to 8.5 inches with offsets ranging from +47 and lower Rears: 9.5 to 10 inches with offsets ranging from +45 and lower. Try using a 20 mm spacer on the rears, that should give you adequate inner clearance, without extending too far outward. I would also recommend using spacers up front to lower the effective offset as well. You will especially need to do this if you ever decide to install adjustable coilovers.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 09-18-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote