View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #7
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecwink
I'm 65 on SSecurity and was thinking about buying my dream car. I found one in Indiana, did the usually " Auto Check" with no info on prior service. I contacted the selling dealer in Florida and was informed that the car was last serviced there in 2007 at 34,000 miles. Car has just 46,000 miles now and has been sitting on dealers lot(Non Porche) for about one month. I asked the dealer about this particular year and model and he indicated the "Intermediate Shaft Seal" was the biggest concern along with Foam coming thru the air vents which is very costly to repair. There aren't any Porsche dealers around here ((90 miles away) is closest but there are 2 import dealers that service foreign autos. According to what I was told this Intermediate Shaft or seal can go at any time without warning. Now I'm having second thoughts about getting the car. Car would only be used in summer months for local driving but can't afford to spend my entire check on repairs. Any suggestions?
Where in Fla. is the dealer ? Above all spend the money for a PPI (pre purchase inspection). I didn't and it cost me $1400.00 to get the car through Maryland inspection.

Locate a dealer or a Porsche qualified mechanic where the car is and have them do the inspection. It will save you a lot of headaches.

These cars need to be driven, often and hard. Letting them sit for long periods does them no good at all.

All that being said, I love my '01 S. With all its clunks and weird rattles. With the top down on a twisty road...winding it up to 6000 rpm through the gears...that's when you find out what they mean by...there is no substitute.

Last edited by kpm; 09-18-2010 at 07:40 AM.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote