View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #13
Cloudsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I agree, but what I said about new clusters also applies to used or existing ones. Porsche dealers say they will not roll back the mileage. If you replace the cluster, they program it with the mileage listed on the old one.

But, they can set the mileage to whatever they want - the diagnostic tools have the capability. I've heard a PCNA service mgr. say they don't, but then I watched an Indy w/ PST2 actually do it. You don't even really need a PIWIS or PST2. If you're a good computer guy, you can get the software for these machines, either independently, or by actually hacking the tester, then run it from a PC w/ diagnostic cable such as the Durametric one. In fact, I saw an TV program who used a reformed auto thief w/ laptop to show how it's done. He rolled back the miles on a current Mercedes Benz and if you can do it on an MB, you can do it on a Porsche.

From what I've heard, the electronic odometers can be rolled back much more easily than the mechanical ones leaving no trace if you have the codes. At least the mechanical ones had tamper-proof, one-time caps which were difficult to source or replace and then because the rollback is done physically, evidence in the form of scratches and such on the odo gears, circlips and such is often left behind.

There is the possibility that the change is recorded elsewhere in the car, such as the BMW example, but this too can be defeated, and pros will know how to do this.

The point is, you really cannot trust the odometer alone on ANY car. You always need to corroberate it (within a reasonable doubt) by other visual indicators on the car itself such as I have described. And, my description is certainly not all-inclusive of the tell-tales available to the astute buyer.

Cheers!
As someone who has a PST2, I'm now very curious as to how to change the mileage in a cluster that is NOT brand new. I am looking to source a 996 cluster, and I would love to get the correct mileage in there, without buying a new cluster.