Thread: HID conversion
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
ALarracuente

I did!

It will require for you to drill a small hole on the light housing lid to route the cables inside (better than cutting an splicing the harness). I used silicon sealant around the hole to prevent moisture from seeping in. Finally I screwed the HID box on to the headlight housing lid itself. The good thing is that;

a) no major mods are needed (other than a small hole on the lid),
b) no splicing at all!!!!,
c) the HID box mounts in the stock location on the lid.

Since Boxster uses H7 bulbs and my HID kit was a single bulb unit, I was only able to have HID on the either high or low beam though. I chose low since that's the one I use most of the time. To match the color better, I did replace the high beams and the fog lights with hyper-white (bluish) color bulbs.

Maybe there are kits that provide multiple bulb with a single HID ballast in order to have both high and low beam with a simple setup. Since my setup is a transition until I get a OEM Litronic setup, I have not looked further into it.

The 'El Chino Cheapo' single H7 bulb kit cost me only $40 (hell, Silverstars cost more than that!) and does light up very, very bright and bluish. Definetely way better than stock but not quite as good looking as the real thing due to the missing focussing lens of course. In regards to durability, I've had this mod for over a year now with maybe 3-4 hours of night driving a week on average, plenty of road vibrations. Moisture has not been an issue either. Trust me, rains plenty in the Caribbean.

Let me know if you would like to see some pictures.

I'm still in the market for a good used pair of litronics though....

Regards,
Fred

Last edited by ALarracuente; 09-12-2010 at 06:07 PM.
ALarracuente is offline   Reply With Quote