View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
The Radium King

i feel like a dog on a bone ...

i think the rear panel idea is still valid (especially for me with all the stock rear panels deleted for the zeintop anyway) but the more i think about the speedster-style lightweight top, the more i think a bimini is the way to go.

here's an image of the spyder:

spyder w/ roof up

you could mimick that using the front member of a donor boxster roof. you would also have a spreader bar sewn-in to the roof that rests on the roll bar (you could modify a part from a donor roof for this as well); with this approach the roll bar sets the height of the roof and the spreader bar makes the roof as wide as the side windows.

the canvas would follow the same likes as the spyder roof in the link. no rear window (your windscreen would provide some protection) and some gaps at the side windows; enough roof to get you out of the rain and nothing more.

as per the spyder in the link, you would need a fitting at the rear on each side, each with a strap to pull everything tight.

it would roll-up and tuck under the humps when not in use. and you wouldn't need to have deleted your original top or have a custom rear panel to use it, provided you have porsche (or aftermarket) speed humps; the rear attachment could be accomplished with straps routed out the back gap of the clamshell.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote