View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 05:43 AM   #104
Bobiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgedm
I did report this to this forum way back in 2005 when it happened. But here we go again .... my 1999 boxster from the non-german assembly plant (finland i think) blew up. I took into Scotsdale Porsche in AZ they said the engine had a "hole in it" i assume thet ment the engine pushed the cylinder sleeve though the block or head or something like that.

I let the car sit for 2 years and then let Brandywine Porsche in Newtown Pa. install a factor fresh Porsche re-built engine. They offered to install a rebuilt 3.4 instead of standard 2.5. At the time Eric Delahaye managed Brandywine Porsche service - this guy is a genius and a true proffesional.

Ok, this part breaks my heart, but here goes .... To purchase and install the 3.4 was $20,000.00 to purchase and install the 2.5 was $9,000.00. Porsche N.A. offered no, i repeat NO, help.

I could not afford to do the 3.4 so I just did the 2.5 standard engine. Final bill was more like $12,000.00 due to other work i had done when engine was out.

Now with that said the factory rebuilt engine pulls better than the original and i am very happy with the project (allthough i wish i did the 3.4).

Again Porsche N.A. did not offer any help, as a life long Porsche owner (this is my 3rd Porsche) i doubt i'll buy another due to this experence. But i will always keep this 986 at this point i am committed finacially to it - and want to leave it to my daughter.

I am spec'ing out a Viper for my next car .....
So those prices are several years old and it would be worse now!

Re Viper, didn't I just read that they were being discontinued???