View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
JoeFromPA

Freaked out due to IMS reports - Newly discovered engine noise

Hey all,

I consider myself to be a good diagnoser of car noises. I know how to isolate, replicate, and eliminate.

On Friday, I was driving home from work with the top up. Now, in 2 months of ownership I pretty much have not driven with the top up. It's either down, or garaged. So bear that in mind. I've also de-snorkeled the car.

Driving home, I was in 5th gear around 2800-3000 rpms. I started to notice an engine noise similar to what I'd call road noise from worn out/scalloped tires...or a warbling bearing.

I let off the gas, it dissapears. I go down to 2500 rpms and push on the gas, and it doesn't appear again until 2800 rpms.

I move my head around the cabin, and it appears to be coming from the centerline of the car, behind the cabin.

I try to replicate this sound in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear. It only appeared in 4th gear, and then it was more slight than in 5th gear.

So, to re-hash, I've got a semi high pitched warbling sound coming from behind the drivers cabin centerline of the car. It only appears in 4th and 5th gears when the engine is loaded (I.e. gas pedal is being pushed) and appears around 2800-3500 rpms....

It doesn't appear in other gears, it doesn't appear when the engine is revved idling.

I am certain I have a bad front engine mount and I have de-snorkeled the car, which I know creates some very nice intake sounds around 2800 rpms....but I know those sounds, and I hear them in every gear. This is distinctly seperate.

Any thoughts on what this could be? '99 Boxster, 57.5k miles, car runs great.

Joe

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote