View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
Cloudsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
what was the inner diameter of the 996 and 540i Maf housing? Can you tell me the OD also?

Would there be any advantage to using a 996/540i larger housing with the regular 986 maf sensor if connected to a cone filter on one end, and, for my current setup to a larger 3" through hose/pipe with 75mm TB and IPD plenum?
Absolutely not. The OP needs a 996 sized MAF because he will be running a 996 map on his 3.4. A 996 sized MAF on a 986 map would give horribly inaccurate air mass readings, and the car would run poorly.

If you didn't know, the actual MAF sensor is the same, it's only the housing that is a different diameter.

While I realize you may have a larger TB and aftermarket plenum, the DME still needs accurate measurements of air mass, and that depends largely on the size of the MAF housing matching what the DME was calibrated to expect. The DME's used in the cars are very good at adaptive learning, so if there were to be any gains to be had from your setup, after a few miles your car will have learned to compensate for the added flow (if any).