View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #16
clueless1

I stuck my phone out the drivers side between red lights and recorded 30 seconds, rather than continue to describe it badly. I think the car was generally between 2000 and 3500 RPM in this 30 sec stretch. The sound stops abruptly at the end because I engaged the clutch and coast the last little bit.

Its definitely a crack, crack, crack.

I haven't had assistance from anyone, and its only audible when driving, so all I can tell you is from the perspective of the drivers seat. To me it sounds like right rear, but it could be coming from absolutely anywhere.

http://audioboo.fm/boos/179980-boxster-2001s-noise

As you will hear, the frequency varies with the speed of the vehicle. I do think there are times when I have been able to rev the car out of the noise (it seems a bit less distinct above 3000 RPMs, and its felt at times that I rev out of it around 4-5000 RPM. I felt like when the car lurched the sound would start up again. That could all be in my head though. I wondered if there were a few times I didn't rev out of it -- hard to tell because the engine sound drowns out the click around that level, and it would 'return' around the same time it would have become audible regardless)

Thanks for all advice offered. Its raining now, but I need to figure out what to look for / how to look at it and get under her this weekend.

Last edited by clueless1; 09-10-2010 at 05:26 PM.
clueless1 is offline   Reply With Quote