View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #22
davemon

Bought mine about 5-6 months ago. Very nicely modded, so those mod expenses have been eaten up by someone else. I have a few grand in the warchest just for the Boxster, would rather it was in the retirement fund, but it is part of the tradeoff of Porsche ownership.

I realized today I put 4k miles on it already. Wow. And I still get a crazy grin every time I'm behind the wheel, hell I get that grin every time I catch a glance of the car when it is just parked.

Here are my expenses:
1) $80 for oil change. Changed almost immediately after I drove it home just to be sure.
2) $40 to replace the locking lug nuts with regular lugs. Found out the car didn't come with the lock lug key, so I just went to Porsche dealership to have them swapped out.
3) $40 for wheel balancing. On the ride home it had jitters, nothing until you got up to 75+

Here are things I WANT to do:
1) The door lock button on the key was worn when I bought the car. Someone else knocked out the worn button, so now I want to buy a second key and get it programmed at dealership. ($~200) Used car tradeoff IMO.
2) My top is pinching itself on the driver's side when it closes. I have no idea what is wrong with it and need to seek out help for it. Caused small 1/2" worn spot on canvas. I think top needs greased or fiddled with, maybe both.
3) I'm scheduling the IMS replacement this month. I want the insurance this provides against catastrophic failure. This car was very well taken car of and modded, so I don't doubt that we may pull the tranny and find the IMS to have already been done, but I'm not risking it.
4) One of the Porsche wheel crests fell off the center cap, missing when I bought the car. $40 to have one delivered to me. Part of used car tradeoff.

The car runs flawlessly and is one hell of a car for the price I paid. I got the newest/nicest 986 I could find. I didn't want to get the early 987 and the later 987s were getting too pricey for my tastes, although in the fall some will be sold at great prices by people that don't want to or can't garage/insure over the winter.

Oh and I drive mine like it was stolen and I've been caught. No way I'm driving it like an Accord.

My advice. Buy one. Set aside $ for an IMS replacement and a small amount for miscellaneous items. Be prepared to tinker. Get the IMS done within a few months and don't think twice about the things that might happen.

Life is too short to drive slow or worry about such things.