View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #20
Lucky

My '00 S is up to 108K miles & it has been problem free during my 3.5 years of ownership. Only work has been maintenance, including a few major wear items at 103K -- clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, throwout bearing, and rear wheel bearings. All done by me for a total cost of about $950 in parts.

It is on engine #2 -- first one started leaking oil at 69K and PCNA offered to cover 75% of the replacement so previous owner went ahead. No clear indication of what necessitated the replacement -- but could have been a failing IMS or an unrepairable RMS.

I may be crazy, but this car is now my DD and I plan to run it into the ground. Should be a good reliability test over the next few years.

I find the Boxster to be extremely well built and easy to work on. The model does have a few problem areas -- some quite serious -- but I'm more than willing to roll the dice. If I find any evidence of a failing IMS (I cut open and inspect my oil filter at every change), in will go the Raby upgraded bearing.

As others have said on this thread, you won't enjoy a car if you are worried it could blow up at any moment. If that's your mindset, stay away. Me, I'm very comfortable rolling the dice given how little I paid for this very fun machine.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote