View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
Lil bastard

Yep, rear tire wear on any mid/rear-engine Porsche is about 2:1 vs. the fronts, going all the way back to the 356. That's due to the odd rear camber req'd. to compensate for engine weight. So that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Personally, I've always liked Pirellis. Used them on several past hot cars with good performance and wear. Have a set right now on my '76 2002.

I got over 20k mi. on a set on my former '99 Boxster and still wasn't on the wear indicators (though getting close). The wear on Pirellis, in my experience, is not linear. It appears that significant tread loss occurs at about 10k mi. and then slows down until about 16k mi., picks up again and stays fairly linear until the wear indicators. Pirellis, in my experience, are much more sensitive to proper alignment, balancing and inflation.

That said, 9k Kms. is waay too little service for the P-Zero Rosso. Did you buy them new or did they come with the car already in service? Could you be wrong about the actual service distance? Are you diligent about keeping the proper pressure?

If not, I suspect a defective set, poor alignment or poor inflation discipline, or a right foot in need of adjustment.

I'd contact Pirelli directly.

Cheers!

PS Check the fine print on your tire warranty on those 40k mi. tires. I'm betting that the 'Z' rated ones are excluded. I just got a set of tires for my 964 - non-summer, Z-rated M+S (it's just a cruiser) from Tire Rack. I chose them mostly because of their 40k warranty. Several weeks later, the Tire Warranty paperwork arrived from Tire Rack, and in the fine print, it excluded the Z-rated tire from the warranty. The W and U rated tires were warranted to 40k mi., but not the Z's.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 09-09-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote