View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
Gforrest2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Snappy
I guess I should say howdy! I just found this forum.

Little background, I was a Corvette guy but sold it about 18 months ago....seemed like the thing to do at the time, definately miss her

Anyways, I decided I wanted a new toy and was amazed at the prices that used boxsters were going for. I had almost pulled the trigger and then decided to do some more research on these cars....I have to tell you, i'm not so sure now.

Yes, I know that people are much more likely to type a post about a problem then a post about no problems with their cars, but i don't know...

After reading the thread about "how much have you spent on repairs this year", I am amazed! To be honest, in the 6 years I owned my Vette, with the exception of a bad rear-end that was replaced under warranty, I never put a dime into any repairs. Mods? Yeah, lots of bucks, but that was fun stuff at my discretion.

I don't race or autoX. I just want a nice cruiser for weekends and love the Boxster...always wanted a Porsche.

Are yearly parts and maintenance really in the range of $1500 per year? Is this typical? I'm looking at 2003-2007 model year with as low miles as possible, so don't expect a factory fresh experience, but I don't want a money pit either.

Can you talk me off the ledge, or is this just par for the course?

I just got an '03 with 80k miles. Lots of horror stories here, but like you say, people or more likely to complain than they are to praise.

But had I done my homework, I may not have gone the Porsche route. And had I read this forum, I know I would not have purchased a Boxster. What really gets me are the failures that are chalked up to "wear items". I'm changing my motor mount this weekend. I've read that these just wear out in as little as 30 or 40,000 miles and replacement is to be expected, huh??? I've read it's the same for the suspension. Parts that typically last the lifetime on other cars don't with a Porsche.

But like others have said, what a fun car to drive. And I'm just learning to drive it and will probably never be able to drive to even half it's potential.

And it is a Porsche. Yes, there are better cars out there, faster, more reliable, cheaper, and maybe even just as fun to drive. But they aren't Porsches. If you have your heart on owning a Porsche, then get it, enjoy it, and be prepared to maintain it.

So I'm torn. Big grin while driving, but always worrying if the next funny noise I hear is going to bankrupt me.

Oh, one other thing. Get the S. If you're going to get a sporty looking car, it ought to at least have the performance to back it up. Just my 2 cents.