View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #15
Johnny Danger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Johnny, quick question- I've noticed on another Boxster owner's car who has a fiberglass replica of the GT3 bumper that he has some nasty rock chips on it...and I'm not talking about small chips, but some chunks that came off from rocks hitting it on the freeway at high speeds presumably...and it looks just awful. With a fiberglass front bumper, is this inevitable, or is the solution just getting a clear bra installed? Even with the clear bra, however, I'm thinking if you get bumped lightly by another car in a parking lot, your bumper will be cracked, as opposed to the OEM polyurethane bumper just deforming and then bouncing back to shape (as mine has a couple times already). Or, do the higher quality fiberglass bumpers have a flexible nature to them?

Certain that it is, when fiberglass takes an impact, it is far more susceptible to being damaged than polyurethane. However, the nice thing about fiberglass is that it can easily be repaired as compared to polyurethane. Polyurethane is a great material provided that the part(s) fit well. I have seen several aftermarket body kits and aero parts made from poly, wherein the fit and finish was terrible. This presents a real problem, because poly cannot be "manipulated" or shaped like fiberglass to ensure a perfect fit. Personally, I have not had any problems with the fiberglass body kit on my vehicle. And, to answer your question regarding rock chips and road rash, I have clear bra installed on my vehicle in several key areas and it has proven to be invaluable.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 09-08-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote