View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsharky
Thanks for the detailed reply. I just take small issue with your statement about "using the car as you describe...."

I am an engineer (though not an EE) so I totally understand the electrical circuitry of the car. My point was that I operated the car for the first three years of its life exactly as was intended by the manufacturer (other than not driving it everyday, which I'll grant you could be significant). When I realized that the battery was dead, I did not attempt to jump it, but rather bought a new battery. When that battery discharged, again I did not jump it, but hooked it up to a charger, in order to save the wear and tear on the alternator. So other than using a battery tender since the car was new, or driving it a lot more frequently, there was really nothing better that I could have done, right?
You are doing all the right things... especially avoiding a jump start.

I learned the hard way with my 2000 S that I can't leave the key in the ignition. Doing so - even in the off position- apparently keeps a bunch of electronics active and fully drains the battery in a matter of days. Now, after putting in an Optima battery, I always take the key out and have not had another drained battery issue. Even if the car wasn't run for 3 or 4 weeks. Your year may be different, but are you taking the key out of the ignition when you finish driving?
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote