View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
The Radium King

ps, it worked ok for porsche's other mid-engined cars; the 904:

and the 914:

note the rear window design in both cases - easily incorporated into the zeintop. keep the hatch and replace the rear glass w/ louvers so that you don't have to fab a new engine cover. can't have rear quarter windows with the new back window design, so put some vents in there to fill the space and move more air away from the engine.

personally, i love the old 50's and 60's-era porsches and feel that their styling is timeless. once the 70's hit, the only porsche that had any aesthetic value for me was the 911 (i'm certain that the 924/944 and 928 were excellent performance machines, but for me they are not 'timeless' and feel that they are very stylistically tied to the 70's and 80's).

the boxster was supposed to be a return to the 550, etc.. by the time that exercise was complete, however, most of the visual cues and ties to the old porsches were lost. in fact, i often feel that porsche tried to hide the mid-engine aspect of the car as much as possible - the unneccessary volume in the front, the efforts to reduce volume in the rear, the complete encapsulation and hiding of the engine compartment.

now that old boxsters are affordable to slack-jawed yokels like me, i'm looking at simple ways to modify the car to bring back some of these styling, performance and audio cues.

Last edited by The Radium King; 09-01-2010 at 09:00 AM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote