View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Banana S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
In all the years I have been working on Porsche’s, I have never seen a battery terminal come loose. If anything, they become harder to get off with time. Someone left yours loose............... And be happy if all you have lost is the voltage regulator or a diode of two; we have seen some idiots pull the battery cable off while the car was running, smoking the DME (read bring lots of cash)....
Heh, heh. That's the "old school" domestic-iron method of determining whether you have a working alternator. Before DME's/ECU's/PCM's/EIEIO's, you could disconnect your battery, and if the car died, it meant your alternator was out of commission. Of course, if you try this with a modern car, you're just asking for an expensive repair.

(I still hear about LT1/LS1 Camaro guys trying this from time to time. They invariably destroy the voltage regulator in the car, which is integrated with the alternator in those engines, meaning that they end up having to get a new alternator because of their attempt to determine whether they had a bad alternator. Oh, the irony...)

Last edited by Banana S; 08-31-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Banana S is offline   Reply With Quote