View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 02:06 PM   #17
RandallNeighbour

I've decided to buy some el-cheapo sumitomos like my Boxster idol, Toolpants. If they're good enough for him, they're good enough for me. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

I have Kumho Excsta MX's right now and they're wearing alright I guess. I can't really tell because I had a bent rear strut and a bent front sub frame that I corrected last month and these tires have about 6k on them. I cannot say if they are quiet, loud, sticky or slick because I have nothing else by which to compare them. The next set of tires will help me see if they are good or not.

I chose the MX's over the less expensive Kumho's because the Tire Rack guy told me these would not get loud as they aged, which he said is a known problem with the cheaper Kumho's if they are not rotated. I have learned since then though that one can knock the rubber off the rim and put it on the other side to force a rotation of sorts, which is what I did four months ago.

I'm driving to San Jose next week from Houston though, and doggonit, I bet at least one of them will have a bald spot by the time I make it back home.

One thing I know for certain... If you want to start a hot debate on this forum, start saying one tire is better than any other or talk about oil weight preferences. Opinions on these topics are like navals... everyone has one, that's for sure!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote