View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #92
Daniel R

I have never driven a PDK, so I am probably not in the best position to comment. I have driven a 996 turbo with tip however, and it was, in my opinion, not a sports car experience in the least. For a start, due to the massive torque of the turbo, the tip always starts in 2nd gear. If you give it enough gas it then drops back to first, but being in 2nd obviously wastes valuable time, and is just plain annoying. Not to mention the whole changing at inappropriate times etc...

The PDK certainly sounds very appealing in theory. The fast shift times are impossible to match even by an experienced driver. It is most likely the perfect thing for traffic light drags and highway racing. On a track however, it could well be a different story.

I'll keep my manual box for now, and when the guy in the car next to me flies past with his PDK he might smile for a second or two because his car is faster. I can promise you that I will be smiling the whole way, with every perfect shift and heel-toe down-changing and balancing the clutch just right to get the perfect launch.

Ultimately, I own sports cars for the thrill of driving. Take out the shifts, then all I do is accelerate, brake and steer. Perhaps in years to come some technology will be available that reads the corner and steers the perfect racing line to the 1/32". Give it a few more years and cars will accelerate and brake all by themselves too. No doubt cars will be much faster, but where does that leave driving enthusiasts, on a Disney ride??
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote