View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Pat

What's the most smoke you've seen from the exhaust at start up?

Once in a while I see a small puff of smoke at start up. I understand this is normal. However, today, at the track, I started the car and a LOT of smoke poured from the exhaust. So much so, that a couple people came running with fire extinguishers. It lasted a couple minutes, so I shut it down and let it sit. An hour later, I fired it up again and more smoke came out, but maybe just half as much. Still, it was what I would consider a lot, and I decided not to go on track for fear of something being wrong and dropping oil on the track. I let it sit another hour, fired it up and a little bit came out as I drove through the paddock to the highway. I drove the car 30 minutes, shut it down and went inside for a burger. When I came out I checked the oil, which was at the maximum mark, just like yesterday. I started the car, and there was zero smoke. I drove home, let the car sit a little bit, and the oil is still at the max mark.
Based on all of this, it seems to me like I just had oil settling in the cylinders. But it seems like there was a LOT of oil in the cylinders. Has anyone else experienced this? The car has a perfect maintenance record and has not given me any problems in my four short months of ownership.
FWIW, after my last session on the track I shut the car off without letting it cool down first. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, though.
Any thoughts?