View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
That portable Bendpak unit looks interesting - looks like a practical option given my space limitations. I hadn't looked at scissor jacks because I thought they would restrict access to the underside of the car. Does it allow plenty of clearance to drop a motor/tranny out of the car? Is it narrow enough when collapsed to drive over it (you mentioned storing it under the car). It looks like there are rollers on the end of the base opposite the cylinder, and I'm guessing they are drawn forward as the lift rises? Any issues there? Do they marr the floor and can they tolerate small bumps in the floor?
The BendPak unit I had was equipped with shorter swing arms just like their permanent units. The arms had several adaptors that allowed you to raise up the pads, giving clearance between the lift and the car, and was open enough in the middle for just about any project. It is not fully open in the center like twin post lifts, but that is how it remains portable. The rollers on the floor were not an issue in my shop, but if you have a painted floor, your may have marring.

Using this style lift, I pulled gear boxes out of 911's, Boxsters and the occasional Corvette.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 08-21-2010 at 03:09 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote