View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

I've been strongly considering an F355 to replace my Boxster. I only put about 3000 miles on my Porsche every year and would do the same with an F-car.

The price is very attractive and the performance and sound is phenomenal. LB, it's the same weight as a Boxster S, I'm not sure where you're coming from with the weight comment.

The car feels much more special than a Boxster. Driving it around is an occasion and you don't see several of them every day. I'm just not excited about the $10k timing belt replacement/service every 5 years in addition to all the little things that fail along the way.

The key, of course, is picking the right one, just like with a Porsche. It needs to have an aftermarket exhaust system as the stock one cracks and the cats disintegrate, and it needs to have enough miles on it to ensure that the valve guides are robust. As with any car, research and service history is your friend. These cars are like any other and need to have a history of regular use. Just like with Porsches, the main failure modes are well documented and solutions are available, but not cheap.

Last edited by blue2000s; 08-20-2010 at 12:50 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote