View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 03:40 AM   #2
Frodo

I can't answer half your question, because when I found the one I liked (also an '01 S) it just so happened not to have TC...I wasn't particularly worried about it. As you have found out, with that engine in what is a fairly light car, one can definitely break the rear end loose.

A short story. When I was looking (July, 2006), my son (who was 18 at the time) and I test drove (just me driving) another '01 S. This one, however, did have PSM, which I had on when I drove around a 3-4 mile circuit with the salesman. When I got back to the dealership, I asked the guy if I could do the same circuit with my son, since he actually was getting fairly knowledgeable about cars (both in the shadetree mechanic sense and, of course, from hours spent on Forza!). He acquiesced and we set out. Got half way through through the same circuit when Colin recommended we try it without the PSM. "Okay" I said, turning it off.

We came to a T-bone intersection, I stopped, then went to make the right turn onto a road that was actually a lightly used divided highway. I didn't exactly execute a smooth launch (an understatement), but launch it I did. Next thing we knew, we were fishtailing all over the place. Fortunately there was nobody around to witness (or to smack into) and I quickly got things under control. But it kind of got the adrenaline going, if you know what I mean.

I've only once had that problem with the Box I ultimately bought. It seems like you can feel when you're reaching the limit and, unless you're really being an idiot about it, make adjustments. When I (occasionally) break the rear end loose these days (usually accelerating into a turn), I know what's happening and don't have much trouble controlling things. The one exception alluded to above: I was straight-line accelerating in cold weather on a smooth, wet road. I learned (real fast) that you don't do that with summer performance tires...I might as well have been on a sheet of wet ice! A lesson I won't soon forget!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote