View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
wtf

Bodykits for 986S, recommendations and advice

Hi guys,

Ive only had my 986S for a week so far, so I am only new here :P

I am presently buying a bodykit for it, but the only place I have been able to find them is in the USA (im in Australia). I am looking for the GT2 style front, GT3 rear and Techart Side skirts.

I have found a couple of suppliers and have some questions as for the expense, I am worried they will get here and then just simply not fit, have a lot of ripples through them, or require massive amounts of modification to get them to sit flush.

I have two questions:

1) Flex fibreglass and deterioration:
I was originally going to go with the flex resin fibreglass & plastic style bars (such as duraflex asa seen on ebay) but then another supplier of kits suggested that the duraflex stuff looks good for the first few months but then deteriorates and looks ripply and wavey. He said he used to resell this product and stopped due to the cars looking poor after 6 months or so. Does anyone else here have flexi duraflex style kit, so can give any first hand experience?

2) Who is a decent supplier?
I have found two ebay sellers who both reply promptly.

First one is: www.MichaelsAutoAccessories.com
The do not seem to have a whole lot of first hand experience with the kits they are selling (but if you have 100s of kits, thats not too much of a flaw). I also found their photos all seem to be either computer generated or 'stock' photos. Most arent actually of customer vehicles, and in most cases the GT2 kit im looking at, is actually pictured on a GT2 - not on a 986 boxster, which seems to defeat the purpose. Shipping is via sea and will take up to 45 days (to port). They sell all 'duraflex' kits, and are comparitively cheap. Around USD$2700 delivered to Australia

The second seller is: "xtrememotorcars". Their ads all state the kits are made by '999-Design'. I have found reference to these ads also on the vividracing website which seems to mainly carry high quality items. The seller is very helpful and has sent me a multitude of pics of the kits installed on actual customers cars, not stock pics or computer generated ones, and actual Boxsters not real GT2s. This guy only sells straight fibreglass and said he wont trade in flex resin anymore due to deterioration over time. Shipping from this place is air freight, and only going to take 15 days (to door). They must have a deal with fedex as their air freight is cheaper than the other places sea freight. Total price is USD$4000 delivered for the kit.

Here is a pic of the kit I am getting, that the second supplier says was a customers car:

Has anyone had experience with either of these places, and can give any insight into the quality of the parts for both fitment and being non-wavey? Bottom line is if the kits need a lot of smoothing/sanding etc i might as well get cheap ones and adapt them to fit. For the $4k id want something that was near-perfect.

I hope to get a bit of advice as I am -this- close to hitting the 'send money' button and hoping to get a bit of final research in

If anyone has any other recommendations I am open to them!

Kind regards

Mark
wtf is offline   Reply With Quote