View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
RandallNeighbour

I've been running 18's on my car without structural problems, and even took it to the track once with my 18's on it.

Of course, I now have 17's for the track.

There are three reasons that will make you wish you had not put 19's on your 97 boxster beyond the damage it might do to your car's suspension and subframe ....

1. The ride. My 18's are not comfortable compared to the 17's. I can only imagine 19's would be kidney killers.

2. The cost of the tire. Price out 19's before you dive in, remembering that the rears will go out in 7500 miles or less since there's so little sidewall to shoulder all that negative camber.

3. The cost of rim repair or replacement. 19's have something like a 1.5 inch sidewall. One decent sized pothole and you now have a bent rim requiring north of a hundred bucks to repair at the very minimum.

I recommend getting lowering springs and side skirts, which go a very long way toward making the car look more aggressive on 17's or 18's instead of spending far more money on 19's and having a very high maintenance set of rims on the car.

Just my 2¢ worth, but there it is....
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote