View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 11:40 PM   #7
socratic

An interesting recurring theme in the Tirerack.com reviews is that no matter what the tire, from the less expensive Kumhos to the ultra expensive Micheline Pilot Sports and P-Zeros is that traction, especially wet weather traction, goes away significantly after about 1/2 of the tire wears away. Also road noise supposed dramatically increases around that time too.

I'm curious why they can't design a tire that is more consistent through its life.

Also if the above "theme" is true, then I should buy the inexpensive Kumhos and ditch them after 1/2 the tread is gone. Performance should then easily top the supposedly higher performance Michelins and Pirellis which would be at their mid-point in their lives (or past it since they may be softer). Cost wouldn't be much different and you'd be always getting excellent traction versus some probably skitterish results as the so-called high-end tires reach the end of their lives.

By the way, I am runnnig the Kumhos; they came with my 2001 (purchased used). Am very happy with them. Rides smooth and quiet, just like I like them to. I'm one of those who would gladly sacrifice the "ultra max super" grip for nice soft ride, quiet running, long life and a gentle predictable breakaway at the limits of adhesion. --traits which, I gather, are polar opposites when it comes to the so-called high-end tires.

Last edited by socratic; 07-12-2005 at 11:45 PM.
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote