View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 04:03 AM   #6
mikefocke

I've had front engine, mi-engine and rear engine cars.

Multiples of each.

I like the mid-engine...had 3.

I've liked the top down aspect of the Boxster but this NC summer has me rethinking that decision. 100-110 heat index (temp plus humidity) for days on end means I go out with the top down and within 2 miles I have the top up and the a/c on. I use the car for longish trips, nothing less than 12 miles one way, and everything from a "trash to the dump" run to a vacation trip. For short or winter drives I have the CRV, a little SUV. So I have as much invested in my cars as a Carrera would cost me so it isn't cost that is driving my choice.

I think I'd buy a Cayman. More practical luggage space, mid-engine handling. 300HP is more than enough for me...my 914 only had 85 and I got into enough trouble with the LEOs in it (Gads...that was 40 years ago!).

The Carreras, while iconic in shape, just don't do it for me and the luggage config leaves much to be desired. Plus I challenge anyone to use those rear "seats". I couldn't fit my 3 year old GD in one.

The only problem is "my" Cayman costs $94k every time I configure it. And my Boxster costs me an oil change each year...beastly reliable. So I keep the $ in investments and the income more than pays for the Boxster's upkeep. Daddy taught me don't put serious $ into depreciating assets (now why did I buy this house?).
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote