Thread: Great road trip
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
Kirk

Trip to West Coast

I just got back a few hours ago from a 7 day, 2,000 mile trip to the redwoods, Pacific Coast Highway, and sequoias. Attached is a photo from Kings Canyon. The roads were great, the car was great for the roads, and we hauled a lot of camping gear. I think the Box is very practical for a sports car. Unfortunately the temperatures stayed around 58 F most of the time, so I got zero quality pictures of the Assistant.

The car had a few issues, mostly related to age though. My Falken tires still had some tread when we left, but they were getting down to the wear bars. The tires just started falling apart though, leaving tons of rubber dust on the rear bumper. Within a few days the tread was gone and I was down to cords. An emergency stop in San Francisco then got us setup with a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's. We also had a check engine light come on - P1128 and P1130. Cleared it just to have it come back a couple days later... annoying. I'll have to look into that problem. Then on the last day the plastic window (10 years old) cracked. I guess now it's time for a new top with glass window. I'm just a bit bummed that I have to shell out for the new top now after dumping nearly $1,300 on tires!

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote