View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 05:33 AM   #71
JFP in PA

As someone that runs a shop, let me give you another perspective on these warranties:

1. Many aftermarket insurers try to act like these repairs are medical insurance, they try tell the shop what you can expect to be paid, how long it should take, and even where to buy parts. Not in my shop…….

2. They want you to disassemble the engine, then wait for their “inspector” to show up, which takes anywhere from a couple of days to weeks. Shops typically have limited space, particularly inside. No owner wants his car sitting outside for weeks, particularly with the engine partially disassembled.

3. As others have noted, many of these companies try to weasel out of paying a claim for reasons totally unconnected to the problem. ECU/DME data, “competition tires”, “extensive modification” (aftermarket exhaust system), etc., etc….. Anything to keep from paying out…….

4. “Partial settlements” where they will pay for only part of the job, or only cover the parts. I actually had one tell me that they would only cover the time to swap out the bearing, not the labor to get at it. Right……..

5. The warranty companies often use poorly trained or totally incompetent personnel to review the claims. Often they know little, if anything, about the make or model involved, much less what is required to make the repair. Yet they are the individuals that determine if the claim will be paid and at what rate.

6. After market warranty companies are amongst the slowest payers out there, often trying to string the shop out for months on a claim, and sometimes go out of business while you are waiting, leaving the shop to file a legal claim with little to no chance of getting paid.

Like many other shops, we no longer deal with any warranty company, period. If the owner wants to file a claim, that fine by me, but the repair is cash, check or credit card only………