View Single Post
Old 07-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #17
SD987

I’ll relate my experiences with the wind deflector that may answer some of your questions. If I repeat what others have said, my apologies.

My 987 base, was not equipped with the windstop on date of purchase, but having driven a BMW convertible with a windscreen for some time, I realized that not having some sort of shield is tantamount to committing wind-tunnel seppuku. (It amazes me how many domestic convertibles don’t have any wind protection available.)

During the purchase haggling phase (the point during the transaction where you think you're getting concessions but the dealer is only guiding the transaction on its inevitable course toward their “secret price point”) I managed to get the dealer to "due bill" the windstop and colored wheel crests on top of his $2000 discount. However, I had to wait for the windstop for two weeks as they seemed to have the plastic stop in place, but no brackets were anywhere to be found on the premises (an emotional roller coaster of false hopes and dealer screw-ups that may be related in a different post).

Anyway, I appreciated the "clean" look of the seating area without the windstop during this waiting period ( I did not see any visible holes or attachment points during this time, as I can recollect). However, as I suspected, living without the windstop even for this short time was untenable. At 40 mph + the wind starts to pick up, hitting it's apex at about 80. At these speeds, without a windstop, your coif is obviously history and gets bad enough to where you will definitely lose a ball-cap unless it's secured to your head with a chinstrap (not a good look). North of 80 it doesn't get any worse, but at this point you're already in the "eye of the storm".

I’ll reiterate that this is in a 987, which I understand to have improved cockpit wind buffering compared to the 986. It’s also important to note that I’ve driven with the plastic insert out…and you need it, as that center gap between the seats seems to act as a natural wind tunnel.

To some of your other questions:

I don’t think you can factory order the black inserts without the windstop, but they are clipped on from three points and may be easy to find aftermarket. A dealer I’m guessing would be reluctant to break up the windstop kit, but I might be wrong.

I don’t think rear storage is affected by separate purchase of the Bose system, but I think when Bose is purchased with Preferred package or Preferred package plus you get the enhanced storage pullout in the back and cd inserts in the center control. No storage space is designed especially for the unused windstop, but it comes with a bag and fits handily if not elegantly in the back seat map holder.

It looks like the roll clips could be removed quite easily from their three attachments leaving no mark, however, the center clip assemblies look drilled in.

Post-purchase install of the windstop by the dealer was a two hour job (or whatever amount of time will discourage the customer from saying “OK, I’ll just wait over here until you guys are done”.)

I’ve had no issues with rattling at any speed but it does smudge rather easy. But there’s really no reason to touch it after getting over the initial paranoia that it’s going to pop out.

Relative to BMW (e36 – e46) windstops I’d say that Porsche’s is slicker, better integrated, less of an eyesore, of higher workmanship (has a sturdy heft – definitely not flimsy), slightly less effective but harder to remove cleanly (BMW’s just lifts out of the car leaving no trace, except for an extremely dirty back seat).

However, to summarize previous posters, the windstop purchase issue is a non-starter, you need this.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote