View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
JoeFromPA

How often do you redline it & a story of newfound joy

Hi all,

Well, celebrating about 3 weeks of boxster ownership now. 99 model, 5-speed, 56k miles and now 700 more than when I took on ownership.

First off, I wanted to ask how often people redline their boxsters (once fully warmed up of course). I find myself winding it out on the highway and alot on backroads....2nd and 3rd gears mostly. I'm primarily taking it to 6000 before shifting, but have gone up to 6500. Most of the magic appears to occur between 5000-6000 though. I'm guessing I'll be hitting redline once for every 5 miles I put on the car

Second thing I wanted to share: I've been a bit hard on the boxster. It may have an alignment issue, as it tramlines & vibrates at different speeds. It creaks a bit, and rides a bit rough for my taste (partly due to the barely broken in Bilstein HD dampers + thin sidewalled michelin pilot sports (not PS2s)).

As I was turning onto 6 miles of backroads tonight, I slapped myself in the face. I've got a mid-engined Porsche here, with a racing heritage, sitting on really fat summer tires hung off of excellent stiff dampers, and here I am complaining about ride quality and characteristics and some interior noises.

I sucked it up and started winding it out more, but also perfectly rev-matching downshifts, taking turns fairly hard (with a clear view of the other side), putting some heat in the brakes, and generally driving it.

Made me realize that sometimes a race car will make you happiest as a race car, instead of trying to make it into a pleasant sunday driver.
What is/was wrong with me?

Happy motoring.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote