View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
JoeFromPA

I understand the concepts; they are blanket statements thrown over a situation. Let me provide some examples:

In 2005-2006, Subaru used a dual-mass flywheel on the same year Legacy GT models in 5-speed format. In 2007-2009, they switched to a single-mass.

This is a straight bolt-on application, albeit with a different clutch to fit the face of the new flywheel. They did not re-balance the internals, and the single-mass was a few pounds lighter.

How do I know? Because Subaru offers the 07+ single mass flywheel as a bolt-on replacement choice (with the 07+ clutch) for this engine/transmission combo.

Single-mass flywheels are used in a huge variety of automotive applications known as "smooth". They are commonplace. The concern with vibrations and harmonics when switching is:

1. When someone goes to a racing-style application of a lightweight flywheel.

2. If something is poorly engineered.

Single-mass flywheels by themselves, especially when made "heavy" (usually 25+ pounds), dampen vibrations and harmonics just fine.

Last example: A flywheel's mass and location of mass is not a precision instrument to perfectly balance internal harmonics. How do I know?

1. Because flywheels, by their nature, receive wear over time. As long as their surfaces remain smooth and true, they balance out fine.

2. Single-mass flywheels routinely receive resurfacing, which involves the removal of mass/weight. If a shift of a few ounces mattered, this would not be a suitable action.

I could go on. I'm not an engine builder nor do I develop parts for cars. My knowledge of cars tells me that a single mass flywheel of similar weight and with proper design would be a simple solution to allow Porsche owners to stop worrying about dual-mass flywheels wearing out.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote