View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
Dave S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5
I don't recall if my drivers side door is able to move by grabbing on the window itself, but your problem is exactly like mine as far as the passenger side. I am able to move it about 1/2 inch up or down on the problematic window before I started removing everything. I am going to try and tighten the line using zipties like you did when I get some daylight tomorrow. You put them in two different locations. Is there a reason for this? How did you know how many to put on? I'm not sure how adding the zipties tightens up the slack, but I'll have to take a look at what is going on tomorrow now that I have a much better idea of what to look for. Hopefully, mine has been stretched out too and can be fixed.
It's the same as tightening up the brake cable on your bike, except that there is no adjuster. By spacing the outer sheath of the cable back, it tightens the cable. The only reason I did it in 2 spots was to take up more of the slack. It's still a little loose, but at least it now drops enough to open and close the door.

I agree that you could just buy a new regulator for about $140 and fix it until that one stretches out too, or you can spend 5 cents worth of zip ties, you can fix it for a while and see how long it lasts. At least you have learned that taking the door inner skin off is an easy task and since you don't have to disassemble or remove the regulator it's a really easy fix, so no big deal if you have to go back into it later with a more permanent fix.
After adding the zip ties and reconnecting the battery after re-assembling the door panel to the door, I ran the windows up and down so they could re-learn where they are and the auto up down feature was reset.
I'm going to leave mine as is until it stops working just to see how long it lasts. I think I'm going to order some bicycle brake cable adjusters and see if I can adapt one to work as an adjuster for the window regulator.

Last edited by Dave S.; 07-24-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote