Thread: New Clutch
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #19
JoeFromPA

Clutch slip test (slightly different from stated earlier): Go into 5th gear (or any top gear) slightly below 2000rpms going up the incline of a hill and floor the gas pedal.

If the RPMs shoot up, your clutch is slipping. If your car is bogging, obviously not accelerating, and your RPMs aren't moving, then your clutch is holding.

Doing this test puts the most load on the clutch that it sees, so if it doesn't slip during this test then it's still able to hold almost any load.

50k on a clutch is normal for:

- Clutches that see a good amount of high rpm launches in 1st gear (i.e. 3000+ rpms and slipping the clutch out during it)

- Clutches that are undersized for the engine's torque

I don't know any reason why either of these would apply to a properly driven street 2.5/2.7 liter boxster....the clutch seems appropriately sized, and my 2.5 liter at least responds easily to less than 2000 rpms when launching (A bit jerky though at 1000...probably just the engagement point moving around on me).

If a mechanic drives a car and pronounces it's clutch going when no slipping is occuring, then I would personally doubt the mechanic's assessment.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote