View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 04:29 AM   #4
limoncello

I lived in London for my last 2 years ('98-'99) of active duty, rode the tube to work each morning. One memory comes to mind - we were holding our usual American 4th of July celebration with fireworks and hot dogs, etc. There were a large number of Brits who chose to attend, and joined us in celebration. Recall for a moment the origins of the 4th of July. Yet there we all were, with the Brits at our side quietly respecting the playing of our national anthem, and celebrating our nation's birthday with us. They were at the same moment by our side in Bosnia, as they had been in Kosovo before that.
I think it is an indication of civilized societies, to be able to turn loose of history, and build new relationships based on shared visions and values: finding common ground for agreement instead of dwelling on past differences. If some other nations or tribes around the world could grasp this concept, and set aside their blood soaked histories and desires for vengence, what a different world we might live in.
My deepest prayers and sympathies for all those involved in yesterday's tragedy.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote