View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
Lil bastard

My '99 is a TipS and it's been a joy to own. I live in the city and the Tip is ideal for that. When I get the urge, the steering wheel toggles more than scratch the itch.

Lots of people (and several of the comments made here) seem to forget that this isn't just the proverbial 'SlushBox', this is a ZF produced and Porsche massaged, selectable automatic with adaptive memory which adjusts it's shift points to suit an individual driving style. Thats a major difference from other automatics.

The Tip S is more maintenance friendly and it seems like RMS and IMS are somewhat mitigated by the fluid coupling of the Tip vs. the direct coupling of a clutch.

Also, Expressway cruising is a lot nicer with the Tip, set and forget. If an emergency threatens, there's one less task to perform. No clutch and downshift, just get on the binders straightaway.

Some of you know I bought a 964 C4 Cab 5-Spd. this month and drove it from Popano Beach FL some 1,900 miles home. Most of this was Interstate, in 5th gear w/ cruise control, basically the same as driving a Tip S. But, around town, I admit it's gets a little annoying to have to constantly row, usually due to the MORONS I am sometimes obliged to share the road with.

Also, since with the air-cooleds maintaining the proper oil pressure is so important (the air-cooleds are really oil-cooled), I find the gearing is just slightly off. In normal urban travel, I find myself in 2nd gear much more than I would have thought as driving at 30-35MPH in 3rd gear comes very close to lugging the engine and the oil pressure is just at the minimum recomended mark - 3.5 Bar, whereas 2nd gear places the oil pressure safely in the 4+ Bar range. In 2nd, the RPMs are in the mid-2000 range (2600-2700), but drop to 2000 or slightly below in 3rd getting dangerously close (IMHO) to the lugging/low oil pressure threshold.

I love the 964 in a classic sort of way, but it would be a better car for the driving I'm doing were it a Tip S.

I'm not promoting the Tip S in any way, just not dismissing it as easily as some others. I'd recommend driving them both, with as unbiased a mind as you can muster and then decide. I think the right combination will make itself evident.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote