View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
m208334

"Today the passenger door window wouldn't drop enough to clear the top when you open the door"

1. I had the battery disconnected and both of my doors all of the sudden no longer perform the "Drop-down feature" correctly. The Bentley manual instructs to perform a "Window Motor Standardization" by raising the window with the top closed and holding the window up button for 5 seconds. Others suggest running the window up, then down, then up, double clicking the up button, then running windows down and double clicking the window button. There are other variations, but none are working. My window is moving a little, but is still brushing the top. If standardization is successful, the window would drop 13mm (1/2 inch) when a door is opened and would clear the top.

2. The Bentley manual indicates that if standardization does not work, then the a manual adjustment of the window regulator is needed. The window adjustment involves mounting screws (fore/aft), clamping jaw (window angle), Torx (window height), and rails (window rake..alias sealing). Some people suggest that the dealers just replace the window regulator when this problem occurs (maybe because the rails are damaged or the stop is broken).

3. I have also heard that the Central Locking Computer (CLC) controls the window and is known to cause erratic window behavior...especially if the CLC gets wet (located under left seat).

4. There are various micro-switches (1998-2000)that determines if the top is open, inner/outer door handle is pulled, or the a door/bonnet/trunk are opened. This signals are used by the CLC/alarm and to control window/latch opening/closing. The CLC receives almost every signal on the car.

Window Motor Pin 1 <- Contact Switch (from Door)
Window Motor Pin 2 <- Comfort Close (from Pin 42 of CLC)
Window Motor Pin 8 <- Comfort Open (From Pin 40 of CLC)
Window Motor Pin 5 <- Release Tap Up (From Splice 132, from Fuse B6)
Window Motor Pin 3 <- Move Window Down (From Center Console Window Button)
Window Motor Pin 4 <- Move Window Up (From Center Console Window Button)
Window Motor Pin 7 <- 12V
Window Motor Pin 6 <- GND
Door Lock Pin 3 <- Lock (From Door Lock Module)
Door Lock Pin 8 <- GND
Door Lock Pin 5 <- Key Contact Closed (From Door Lock Module)
Door Lock Pin 6 <- Key Contact Open (From Door Lock Module)
Door Lock Pin 4 <- Door Contact (From Door Lock Module)
Door Lock Pin 7 <- Safe Contact (From Door Lock Module)
Door Lock Pin 2 <- CL Motor (From Door Lock Module)
Door Lock Pin 1 <- CLS (From Door Lock Module)
Door Lock Pin 9 <- Safe Motor (From Door Lock Module)
Conv Top Microswitch Lock & Unlock <- Conv Top Open/Close (From CLC Pin I/6)

The inside and outside door handles are spliced together with the Door Contact (Pin 4) and should open the door if Pin 3 is unlocked.

I am interested in understanding how to troubleshoot whether this repair requires a new window regulator, just a window adjustment, a switch or a CLC.
m208334 is offline   Reply With Quote