View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
crios

Help: Hole in Oil Canister...

I just reinstalled my rebuilt transmission, took it for a drive less than a mile and noticed I had a oil leak. Lost about 3-4 quarts of oil (est). Put in 5 quarts once I got home since I was not sure how much I lost and the car is now registering as being overfull. I’ll drain some out.

I’m going to order a new canister in the morning, but I doubt I’ll get it in by anytime soon, maybe a week.

I still have some concerns with the oil loss and possible engine damage, but so far logic tells me it should be fine….? Oil still dripping when I got home, hence oil still in the car. I filled it with 5 quarts and car’s digital gauge says it is overfull, why I think I maybe lost 3-4 quarts, takes 8-9 max (all bars are lit, before only 1 bar was lit). Car also sounded great and transmission drove just as good.

I’d like to know if anyone has any thoughts on a temporary fix of the canister, just so I can start her back up again and enjoy my weekend. I was thinking some type of PVC clamp or rubber with a metal clamp? As for how the hole got on the canister…I had over tightened it, torque wrench did not click, I know I know, by hand only going forward….so in my efforts to unscrew it, I must have poked it hole with the tools I used.

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote