View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
boxster7614

Almost made it to 100k

My 2000 triptronic boxster almost made it to 100k right now I'm at 99,500 I started hearing a rattling sound the other day thought for sure dreaded IMS bearing because of all the hype about it ( I think we all live in fear) every time I hear a noise......oh no here we go. First thing i did was jackup the car.....I had a loose heat sheild rattling. fixed that.......still a rattling sounding like bearings failing. So I pulled the engine lid and pulled the belt off. started car and the noise stopped. a Sigh of relief because at that point I knew It was not the IMS bearing. Started spining pulleys........upper and lower idler pulley bearings were shot they would shake back and forth in my hand. So I ordered them from suncaost ($60 cheaper than the local stealer ship). put them on, put my belt back on, and started her up....... hoping to hear sweet silence. But no luck still had a bearing sound. So I pulled the belt back off and listened again and it was silent. I must be missing something.....I thought. So I spun all the pulleys and found that my powersteering pump is the culpret. So I just ordered one off ebay and looks like I will be diving into that when it gets here. So all you guys with higher milage boxsters you might want to check all your pulleys. Other repairs I've had to make were AOS (50k), 4 sway bar links and rear track arms because of rattles(75k). Alarm brain went bad at 46k Porsche made a good will warranty. Top was replaced under warranty (42k) cracked window and cracked again at 82k and was replaced with robbins glass top.
boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote