View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
Bladecutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douge1
What a crap little car. This is the kind of thing I would expect from a no name manufacturer. I am gonna wind up spending $1000 for a $.30 piece of plastic. I bet the MAS is still good and I wasted $250 on that.
If you get frustrated now, you're going to lose all enjoyment of the vehicle before you've even owned it for 6 months.

When I first got my '98, I searched high and low in Colorado and New Mexico for a 1 owner car with a decent amount of miles, in good overall condition, that hadn't been wrecked and rebuilt, for under ~12k. It took me about 4 months to find my car.

As soon as I started driving it, I noticed that it drove funny on the highway.
Hit the gas, and the car would pull to the right. Let off the gas quickly from higher rpms, and the car would pull to the left.

Later that week, I started looking at the car, and realized that I needed an engine mount, and a right rear strut. A couple weeks later, and my brake wear light came on. So then I needed new pads and rotors front and rear.

A couple months later, and the windows would roll down the 1/2 inch, and stay there, unless I manually rolled them up. Did some quick testing, and that lead me to buy a new microswitch for the top at the release latch.

In the middle of summer last year, as I was exiting the track day event at HPR that I was having a blast at, the CEL came on. When I got home, and hooked up the car to my Durametric tool and my computer, I learned that I needed a new MAF (just like you!). I actually tested my car, and read the readings to know I needed just the MAF, however.

A couple months ago, I had the rear window crack on me when I was putting the window up. Just last month, I heard this God-awful cracking noise as I was operating the convertible top, and the right side of the top became real loose.

I just fixed that one today by buying the black ball stud plastic cap things, and a new ball stud, and nut (that isn't mentioned anywhere in the parts fiche, I might add! Bastards!), and putting it all together. Don't ask me what happened to the old ball stud and nut. I can't find them anywhere.

So, if you were to add up all the things I've had to fix on the car, you would think that the car is nothing but a headache. It isn't. It's just the small price of admission to the great joy there is to be found when you're tearing up a mountain canyon road, with the top down, and the beautiful engine noises singing to you.

Its a used car, and all used cars have issues either when you buy them, or soon after you start driving them. That's just the nature of a used car. Otherwise, what's the incentive of the previous owner of getting rid of their car if its perfect?

Just be patient, fix your AOS tube with some duct tape for the time being, and get some enjoyment out of your car.

You'll be much better off if you do that.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote