View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Stroked & Blown

Adjusting camber pre & post AX?

I have another AX coming up this weekend & I was wondering if anyone does a camber adjustment specifically for AX events, then changes back for the street.
I don't have time to get this to a alignment shop before Sat, nor do I want to pay for 2 alignments to participate in a $55 autox session.

Background, Tires & Constraints
I'm running General Exclaim UHP 225/45-17 fronts & 255/40-17 rears @ 380 treadwear tires at the moment and plan to replace them at the beginning of next summer with some 180-ish treadwear tires & run square. I can't justify buying stickier tires at the moment, as these still have plenty of life left in them. I may grab some r-comp scrubs & just have fun, but I won't be competitive in the R class at my current skill.

The car had a 'basic' alignment in 2008 and has about 5000 miles on it since

For now, this is what I have to work with, so I am looking for ways to help the tires work better for little added cost.

Proposed self-adjustment procedure
My thinking on the procedure is this:
Pre-autox
  1. Mark the current front strut/bolt locations with a paint pen for stock reference points that I will return to later
  2. Raise the car on on jack stands and level it.
  3. Loosen front strut bolts
  4. Adjust struts inward to obtain more negative camber
  5. Use an angle finder (inaccurate, but better than eyeballing) to target an appropriate level of camber (or should I just max it out???)
  6. Torque strut bolts to 27ftlbs

Post-autox
  1. Raise the car on on jack stands and level it.
  2. Loosen front strut bolts
  3. Adjust struts so that markings from step 1 above are lined up
  4. Torque strut bolts to 27ftlbs

Thoughts?