View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 07:25 AM   #11
landrovered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by extanker
those darn self-tightening bolts again
Wanker Yanker,

You are a stooge but hey if you want to keep bringing it up then fine.

This is a quote from a British engineering firm that specializes in bolts, bolt tightening and bolt failures.

In the UK, loss of the wheels from the left hand (nearside) rear drive axle seems to be most common and this is thought to be due to the effects of road camber and the fact that these wheels are subject to both braking and driving torque. However, as almost all wheel studs have right hand threads, which are tightened in clockwise direction, there have been several suggestions that the use of left hand threads for the left hand side wheels would overcome the problem. Again whilst this may prevent full unscrewing and loss of the nut it does not address the main cause of loss of tension in the fixing following initial tightening and the wheel would eventually be lost because of fixing and /or wheel wear and fracture.

http://www.boltscience.com/pages/failure4.htm

Rotation direction and centripetal forces do have an effect on bolt loosening. This is what I was referencing in my orginal statement. If instantaneous acceleration of the part is high enough then it will tighten the bolt (example: crankshaft bolt on diesel motor) or conversely loosen it. If you read this excellent website that I have provided the link to, you will find that multiple forces are acting on the bolts in the Boxster axle. I would also conclude quite readily that loctite would be a good tool to reduce failure of this joint for those other nay-sayers. If you don't believe me watch the video of the Junkers machine.

If you want to bring this up every time a halfshaft is mentioned on this board then I will be happy to oblige you and prove my point even further.

EDIT: PS, the photo of the 986 halfshaft is the left side....Golly gosh gee whiz

Last edited by landrovered; 06-20-2010 at 07:31 AM.
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote