View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #25
Cloudsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
I understand that the bearing is not pressure lubricated by design. That's my point. The internal pressure forces past the plastic seal by accident and washes out the factory grease. The point of the post was to explain how high revs and high pressure can be good in that it changes more oil inside the bearing.

And by the way I am not an idiot. I was typing on my Iphone and it auto inserts words. I sure you understood I did not mean the Bearing strait, but thanks for pointing that out.

My apologies.

However, you must separate the RMS and the IMS. The RMS is simply a seal that keeps oil from leaking out of the junction of the case halves and the back of the crank, where the flywheel attaches. It is completely separate from the IMS, which is below the crank. Again, high revs and higher oil pressure have nothing to do with IMS lubrication, as the only oil that gets to that bearing is from windage and splashing. There is NO pressure feed to that bearing.

On a related note, the oil that does get to the IMS bearing does not go around or bypass the RMS (as again, they are completely separate), so you could replace the RMS seal 25 times, and this has zero impact on the health of the IMS bearing below it.