View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #20
Cloudsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
For what it is worth I got this explanation from a respected Porsche mechanic.
The factory Bering has a plastic seal that locks in the factory grease.
The plastic seal is crappy and engine oil seeps in and washes out the factory grease.
Low engine revs, low internal pressure, long oil change cycles allows the old poor quality motor oil to stay inside the Bering rather than a pressure forced change.
As a matterof fact if you can not afford the IMS retrofit/repair, I was told to fully remove the factory crappy plastic seal entirely so that clean motor oil can bathe the berings at the very least.

Just passing along what I was told.
Again, the IMS bearing (by the way, it's "bearing," not "Bering" as we're not talking about the Bering Straight here, thus no capitalization is needed) is NOT pressure lubricated. You're absolutely correct in that the "sealed" bearing is not really sealed and that the sealed lubricant gets washed away by the thin motor oil, which is nowhere near as good a lubricant for a ball bearing. Removing the seal on the factory bearing will allow engine oil to at least get in there and provide better lubrication, but under no circumstances, regardless of RPM, is there pressure lubrication to the IMS bearing.