View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
Cloudsurfer

There are two general theories on engine break-in: drive it like you stole it, or baby it. Most race teams go with the former, and there is evidence to support the notion that this will yield a higher power producing engine. The piston aviation industry has probably the most drawn out engine break in procedures, which consist of ever higher engine loading and RPMs over multiple heat cycles. Either way, you do not want to maintain constant RPM for any length of time (hence why not to use the cruise control), and using engine braking also actually helps to seat the rings.

The concerns are twofold: you want to ensure that you get proper ring seating, but you also don't want to cause higher than needed wear. With modern manufacturing techniques, in all likelihood, any new engine is broken-in in within 50 miles no matter how you do it.

Since you are under warranty on the new motor, I would stick with a synthetic oil, both because Porsche says so, and two that you don't need a non-syn break-in oil on this engine. I would, however, change the oil after a few hundred miles, and I would not use Mobil 1 or any 0W40.