View Single Post
Old 07-02-2005, 11:50 AM   #11
limoncello

Most road tracks offer Driver's Ed events, and the classes are required before racing. The day includes classroom training and on-the-track instruction with an instructor in the car. Passing is strictly controlled, so the chances of crashing are minimized. Of course, it's still possible to spin out and hit something, but I felt safer on the track than I did driving to the event. Your local SCCA chapter or PCA club can steer you in the right direction. Much info is available on line thru the SCCA and PCA websites. Also yor local track website.
The school will monitor your prograss and sign you off for progressively more challenging activities when they feel you are qualified. You can then move towards a solo event (racing the clock) or head-to-head racing if that's what you choose.
The Boxster is a great car. I wanted to push it to the limit and beyond, and I'm just not comfortable doing that on public roads. The car's a blast on the track.
Cost for me was $200 for a one day driver's ed course, with 80 minutes of track time.
Note though, that as other's have mentioned, the cost of brake pads, rotors, clutches, etc. is not included in that figure. My local Porsche shop (non-dealer) says I should get 3-5 DE events on pads, and about 2-3 sets of pads then rotors.
One good thing about Driver's Ed as opposed to racing - you can go at your own pace. You don't have to burn up your car if you don't want to.
The grin that comes with diving into a corner smoothly & on line is automatic. Good luck!
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote