View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 06:01 AM   #1
bguzziman

Lost power to Rear wheels 2003 - 5 spd

I recently bought a low mileage base boxster and the car currently has 20,000 miles on it.

The week before, I just upgraded the shifter to 2010 GT3 shifter and it was working beautifully. I also added headers and bypass pipes/evo cold air. The car had new found power, but I should not have been pushing the power limits of this tranny. Since the upgrade I had taken the car up in the lower gears but never pushed off the line and always rolled on and never power shifted this thing. The one owner car was bought off a woman in her early 50's and she never redlined the car for the last 300 hrs before I got it.

I was cruising around last night and was not pushing the car hard,
driving mellow, I was gently drving and went to shift from 1st to 2nd and It seems that just as I started pulling the shifter down it lost drive power to the rear end and then the engine revved freely like in neutral. I then heard a minor thump
thump(that wasnt' there before just after this happend) the car then rolled about 100 ft where i parked it. The motor was still running just fine and idled in.

It still seems to shift positively into each gear with normal feel and
resistance but remains in neutral. I can't believe that the shorter GT3 shifter is the cause. The clutch also feels normal still.

It felt like I blew a driveshaft but I don't have one!! I did not
hear anything else, no oil leaked from the car

Flatbedded to repair house and want to know what could be wrong.

Thanks for input
Bruce
bguzziman is offline   Reply With Quote