View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
husker boxster

Weekend With A Spyder

Last Saturday, Woodhouse had their 2nd annual "Ready, Set, Launch!" event at the Strategic Air Command Museum just outside of Omaha. Lots of activities: a full line-up of cars were on display and you could sign up for a 15 min test drive of the various Porsches (Panamera, Cayenne, 911, Cayman, or Boxster) on adjacent roads to the museum. There was at least a 1.5 hr wait for any drive, so my buddy and I didn't bother.

One of the cars on display was a Spyder. It was recently sold but was available to look at. Here it is:

Looking inside, you'll notice the door strap rather than the usual door handle. Maybe someone else understands the logic of saving a couple of ounces there but loading the car up with nav, sport chrono, etc.

Removing the top
Got to see how this is done. Step 1 is to open the trunk lid, which loosens the straps at the rear of the top. The hooks at the end of the straps are removed from the red latches. The straps are laid on the top and then the vertical portion of the top (containing the rear window) is unsnapped from the top. There are probably 6 snaps. Then the front header is unbuckled from the windshield post. The top is rolled up and placed in the area that would be under the clam shell in a regular Box. Not a fast procedure. Here's a pic of the trunk area.

Test drive

The folks at Woodhouse had set up a small track in part of the parking lot. They had 2 Spyders available to test drive. There was no sign-up, you just stood in line and waited for your turn. The drive itself consisted of taking 2 laps yourself and then riding along as your instructor drove a single lap. The instructors were from the Porsche Driving School in Alabama. The first lap was to familiarize yourself with the course and the 2nd lap was to let it all hang out. Even though I was moving right along on lap 2, my instructor was telling me to go faster. They didn't want you babying the cars, but I didn't want to bump a curb trying to be a hero either. I happened to have Cass Whitehead as my instructor and he proceeded to show me how to launch a Porsche with PDK - hold the brake with your left foot, rev it to the max and hold it, then launch within 6 sec, and the computer will momentarily chirp the tires and then blast you away! We zipped through the slalom, whipped around the 2 90 deg corners, flew down the dog leg straight, quick left hander, then a sweeping right. Then a BIG stab of the brakes as we entered the pit lane. What fun.

I have a couple of short film clips I took with my camera. Unfortunately, this was my first ever attempt at filming with my camera, so there needs to be a bit of editing at the ends. If anyone has the ability to do this, pm me with your email addr and I'll send them to you. It would be nice to include them on this post but I'm a bit embarrased with the amatuerish endings.

Opinings
The Spyder is mostly a track or weekend fun car. The seats are exceptionally form fitting but would be hard to get out of on a daily basis. The top would be hard to live with unless you live in San Diego. It was fun to drive but I didn't consider trading mine in.

BTW...
I believe Woodhouse has one in their invertory. Last week I stopped by to have my maintenance light shut off and they had one in their showroom (in addition to the sold one that was on display at the musuem). I stopped there today to have my 6 disk changer activated and the one in the showroom was now outside, so they still have it. Just in case someone is looking for one.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 06-03-2010 at 03:00 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote