View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #17
mdex

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
depends on a lot of factors. i personally prefer a car that is VERY neutral (most would think it oversteers); this is faster for me because the car is most 'neutral' when i'm fully on throttle (rather than an understeering car that is most neutral when you lift a bit).

to cure the understeer, we want a bit more grip up front. we do this IN THIS CASE by adding pressure to the front tires.

i say IN THIS CASE because people will argue that increasing the pressure will DECREASE grip & that lowering the pressure will increase the size of the contact patch & add grip. tires are funny things. above & below a certain range, lowering the pressure WILL increase grip. however, within a specific range, adding air actually increases the efficiency of the tire & adds grip.

at any rate, i know from experience with THIS tire and THIS car that 34F/30R helps to neutralize understeer. give it a shot.
I never have issues with front end grip, it is mostly about balancing it with the rear with my set up so getting more front end grip isn't normally my concern. I tried running larger tires up front (actually due to stock sizing not being available in time for the next track day) and the extra grip in the front slowed things down as I wasn't able to get on the gas as early coming out of high speed corners.

What tires / sizes are you running?

I find that a 26psi to 28psi cold temp all the way around gives a dead neutral car on most "R" tires with my setup. I guess alignment and other issues have a big part in our tire pressure balance front to rear and car to car.

Mostly stock... except for all the things that are changed.
www.dexterautosport.com

http://www.pbase.com/image/89146172.jpg
mdex is offline   Reply With Quote