Thread: Major Issues
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
boxster_s_boy_34

Unhappy Not Your average guy

Okay, I have already retimed the cams once when I was home (currently deployed to Iraq for the 3rd year long tour) after the installation of the new IMS bearing. Seeing as I have had my hand held by Don for some of these things and the fact that I do work on Blackhawk helicopters for a living (not trying to sound smug or rude) with much closer tolerances, I'm pretty sure that I'm mechanically inclined enough to do all of this work myself. I still have the intake cam in the garage just so that when I do get to feeling cocky or over confident I can look up and realize that the score is car 1 me 0. Now, the intake cam snapped in half on the middle journal from me trying to tighten one side of the cap too far without tightening the other side. Seeing as this is such a close tollerance the cam was trying to twist with the cap and then it snapped from what I was told. My fix for this was to tighten everything one revolution at a time and then torque it to the specified 90 in/lbs in 30 in/lb steps. I did take the car out immediately after finishing with the engine the first time and ran it up to about 140 mph repeatedly waiting to hear something happen (doubting myself). Nothing ever did until about 250 miles later, if that explains the situation a little better. I'm thinking that I may just have not had the cam gear's teeth seated in the chain properly. I would hope that my custom tune would not have a negative effect on what I did, but I'm starting to think that it is a possibility.

P.S. Jake, I talked to you on the phone at length one time, but never remembered to call you back after I got back from some training that I had to do for 3 weeks. Please PM me when you find the time, thanks.
boxster_s_boy_34 is offline   Reply With Quote